Life has its ups and downs, and when we feel good, everything seems that much easier to tackle, am I right? It’s like walking on a cloud of lovely positivity that make us unstoppable, or at least we can think straight to tackle those issues.
But when life has got you down and you’re not feeling happy those issues seem impossible to tackle, heck, life seems impossible!
It’s important to know that sometimes it can be more than just feeling down in the dumps. There is a chemical in your body that regulates: mood; sleep; and appetite. It’s called serotonin also known as the “Happy Chemical”. Researchers believe the lack of serotonin can lead to depression, as well as anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic, and even excess anger.
So how do we maintain serotonin levels to keep our mood healthy and take care of our overall wellness?
- Exercise – Let’s get moving! Exercise boosts serotonin levels in your brain which will help your mood and overall well-being. With just a little regular exercise you can positively impact your serotonin levels.
- Sunlight – Did you know that the body can produce its own serotonin through the skin? In 2013 researchers found that you only need 10-15 minutes of sunlight for your body to start producing more serotonin. That’s an easy way to help boost those levels, just remember to apply your sunscreen! In those winter months, it can be a little more difficult so be sure to take advantage of sunny days – get outside, take a walk and soak up the sunlight!
- Diet- Eating protein-rich foods such as salmon, turkey, dairy foods, eggs, nuts and spinach can help the body increase your amino acids (known as tryptophan) which can help the body to produce more serotonin. And that’s an easy habit to incorporate into a daily meal.
- CBD – There are chemical receptors in your brain that respond to serotonin and CBD can mimic serotonin by activating those receptors. Taking a daily dose of CBD may help level out moods, affected by those receptors.
- Massage – Believe it or not but massage therapy helps increase serotonin and dopamine, and you only need about 20 minutes to increase these levels. What a great excuse to book that spa appointment or even talk your partner into a weekly massage routine!
Implementing these 5 wellness tips will help boost your serotonin levels to better your mood, and your overall happiness! Take some time to adopt them into your life style especially during the long winter months here in Canada! You are worth it!